Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Grandma's Cupboard

Once a week Jim and I take a meal over to my grandparents house after work to eat dinner with them and visit.  This week we had pork tenderloin, peas, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and sweet ice tea.  It was great!

After dinner we were sharing some of our auction experiences with them and talking about collections and antiques.  My grandmother has collected cows for years.  As I think back, she started around 1990, so that's been about 23 years now.  She would buy any and everything she found that had a cow on it and over the years, the collection grew and grew.  Most items have been packed away now but a few pieces (probably 50 or so!) still remain in her dining room and kitchen.  I started looking around at the collection after dinner and noticed a couple S&P sets were stamped "Japan" on the bottom.  Others were not marked but you could tell they were old.  They intrigued me so I started doing some research online.  I found a couple of her sets selling on ebay and etsy from $4.99-$20.00.






I also started looking at some of the china and other glassware she had in her cabinets and noticed some other items of value.   She had a place setting for 12 of a set of Windsor Rose Fine China from Japan, large plates, cups and two sizes of saucers.  I found the small saucers on etsy selling for $3.99 each.





She also had some nice Pyrex bowls and one with no markings that I'm still trying to identify.  Mom thinks it's Anchor Hocking but I'm not 100% sure.  Hopefully I can identify it soon.

As we were getting ready to leave, my grandfather handed me some bags full of linens and table cloths from a closet he was cleaning out. Folded up between two old plastic table cloths was 3 Belgian Lace Cocktail Napkins.  I found a set of 8 selling on ebay for $45.00. I'm sure she didn't even know they were in there!
 

I'm not planning on selling any of my grandmothers items, but it's fun to research them with her. And it was very important to tell my grandfather not to throw away anything without letting me see it first!!

Happy Hunting!
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment