Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cornerstone Auction House


If you're looking for something to do on a Saturday night, check out Cornerstone Auction House. They are located NE of Rogers in Avoca, just past the Rogers Airport.  They have an auction every Saturday night at 6PM and they always have a packed house.

This past Saturday night's auction was a good time.  Jim and I took Ty and Dan with us and everyone found something, or somethings they just couldn't live without. 

The find of the night was this old mid-century lamp.  I'm thinking it is Hollywood Regency but I'm still researching it.  The bottom portion lights up as well as the top bulb and you can turn either on by themselves or both on at the same time. 

We also picked up a pair of vintage wall hangings and some glass corn on the cob holders for my grandparents.


Another favorite is the mismatched Pyrex bowls.  I've been keeping my eye out for these recently.  They are really cute and make a great display when you have sets of 3 or 4 and stack them. I'm hoping to pick up some of the pink, teal and or black pieces.  They are the most rare but look great stacked. The photo below was my inspiration to start collecting Pyrex...found at http://pinterest.com/pin/244812929716190327/



The first purchase of the night was a flat of mismatched Soreno drinking glasses from Anchor Hocking.  This line was produced between 1966-1978.  My mom had some assorted Soreno pieces when I was young and I always keep my eye out for these pieces.  The Soreno line comes in clear, avocado green, honey gold, and my favorite, aquamarine. They also have a pink but it is very rare.  I have only ever seen it in books and online. The flat I purchased had a mix of sizes but it did have enough of the larger size to make up a set.

We also picked up a 6 piece set of vintage corning ware in the Country Festival pattern.



Some of these items and others will be available in our booth soon at the White Elephant. 

I've had a lot of people tell me that they want to go to an auction but are intimidated or don't really understand how it all works.  If you are interested in going to an auction but have never been before, here are a few good basic tips:

1. Go early.  Most auction houses open at least an hour, some times 2, before the sale begins.  Get your bidder # and get a good seat in the center of the room, near the front so the auctioneer can see your bids.  Spend the time before the sale starts to  walk around and look at all the items.  Check the quality of the items and makes notes on what you are planning to bid on.

2. Pay attention.  Once the auction starts, you have to be paying attention.  You never know what's coming up next so you have to be watching and keeping an eye out for the items you are interested in.  It only takes a minute or so to sale each item so it goes very quickly.

3. Make a budget.  It's easy to get caught up in the bidding, so know what your max is on each item and don't go over.

4.  Watch your hand and head movements.  A lot of bidders bid by just nodding their head or by putting up a finger.  It's easy to mistake a bid with normal body gestures.  For this reason, I only bid with my bidder card and I keep eye contact with the auctioneer when I'm bidding so he knows I'm bidding. 

5. Relax & have fun. Going to auctions is a lot of fun and can become addictive!  Don't be intimidated by the fast talking or bidding.  Sit back and watch and listen for a while and you will catch on. 

I hope these tips help and hope to see you at a local auction soon.

Have a great week!
Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment